Sunday, June 1, 2008

Happiness...

I was thinking today about happiness and what it is. I mean we all are looking for happiness, but what exactly is happiness? And when do we finally achieve it? We all have our momentary stages of happiness, say when we get an A on a paper, or get that job we really wanted, our first baby, our first husband (haha) oh wait, I mean eternal marriage to our only husband. But what is eternal happiness? When are we just happy forever, and not just for the moment.

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. --Carl Jung

I've realized in my own life that I am in desperate need for that eternal happiness. I am tired of settling for that momentary happiness. I've moved here and there, all over the place searching for that kind of eternal happiness. But everytime I get to where I think I will acheive it, it just isn't there. We've all heard the old saying,"The grass is always greener on the other side."

"We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same." Anne Frank

Is that eternal happiness a choice? Is it when we finally decide that's what we want, we make our lives fit such? Or is it just something that we try to attain our entire lives? We always hear the gospel is God's Plan for our Happiness. But along that plan there are those many trials and bumps on the road that bring very much sorrow and pain into our lives. So is the happiness I desire just something that is just not attainable in this lifetime and is something that I will try to reach my whole life just to fall short? I hope not...

To get up each morning with the resolve to be happy…is to set our own conditions to the events of each day. To do this is to condition circumstances instead of being conditioned by them.--Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Life is what you make it. My most favorite FAVORITE song lyrics to quote are from LeAnn Womack's song I Hope You Dance:
Livin' might mean takin' chances but they're worth takin',
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth makin'...
and the song goes on (google the lyrics or give it a listen). Don't just wait for things to happen...make them happen. Take chances and let life take your breath away, if you will. You might make mistakes, but if it's what you want it will be ok. Sometimes we wonder why noone is "asking us to dance" instead of just "getting out on the floor and dancing". Noone can make us happy if we can't make ourself happy.
Miss you...and I want to see the photos from beth's baby shower
xoxoxo

AC said...

Dear Tamara,
Not all that long ago I gifted you a book which explains Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness perfectly, and is the blueprint for attaining the peace and confidence which is the hallmark of being happy. Do you still have that book and have you read it? We are happy when we feel unconditionally loved; we are happiest when we are loving others in the same way without expectations, fear or disappointments. Your gift to me was teaching me the Plan; my gift in return was sharing Real Love with you as a means to fully understanding AND LIVING IT beyond your mission. Real Love is workin' it, girlfriend!

Love,
Andy in AZ